Brown's Mart's BUILD UP program
BUILD UP supports the development of bold, urgent and relevant performance work from a range of artforms, artists and cultural practices, offering funding, time and space to develop ideas without the pressures of a public performance outcome.
Projects can be submitted at any stage in their development
BUILD UP applicants may receive up to $15,000 in funds towards the development of a work, plus additional in-kind support such as office and rehearsal space, project mentoring, professional advice and advocacy, and other resources as required.
Applicants must be based in the Northern Territory and have the option to develop their project where they are OR come to Darwin and develop their project at Brown’s Mart:
Successful projects will be chosen based on
- a clearly articulated and passionate vision with ideas that are bold, urgent and relevant
- a demonstrated interest in creating work that is accessible to both new and existing audiences within the Territory and beyond
- demonstrating how this support during BUILD UP will develop their professional practice
- having a clear plan for progressing the project and a realistic budget
- Applications are submitted via the online form below. If you have difficulty accessing the form, contact Brown’s Mart on 8981 5522
- Alternatively, applicants can submit their application via up to ten (10) minutes of video or audio along with your budget. Please move through the Application Form below to see where to upload your budget and what questions you should address.
BROWN’S MART SUPPORT
All BUILD UP artists will be supported by the Brown’s Mart team with the following:
- Access to space at Brown’s Mart
- Artistic feedback and professional advice
- Regular check-ins during the project
- Advocacy and promotion of the project within the performing arts industry
- Future project planning (including auspice support for funding the project's future development)
- Wrap-up including coordination of showcasing and feedback mechanisms
- Financial / budgeting support
- Advice on technical and production elements
If you would like assistance with your application or budget, please reach out to the Brown’s Mart team who would love to work with you. You can reach CEO Sophia Hall at email@example.com or on 8981 5522.
21 January 2022 - Applications submitted on or before this date
3-4 February 2022 - Shortlisted applicants invited to meet with Brown’s Mart’s Artistic Leadership Team and CEO
(week commencing) Monday 14 February - 2022 Build Up artists/projects announced
Successful applicants will be contracted by Brown’s Mart. Brown’s Mart will be responsible for the financial management of the BUILD UP project. The applicant will remain the Producer of their work and is responsible for coordinating any other artists involved.
Following the completion of the BUILD UP project, an acquittal conversation/debrief will be scheduled with a member of the Brown’s Mart Artistic Leadership Team and Brown’s Mart CEO.
Brown's Mart Arts Ltd
(T/as Brown’s Mart)
ABN: 67 141 763 895
12 Smith Street Darwin City
GPO Box 3451, Darwin NT 0801